Thursday, December 12, 2013

Differentiating in Counting BIG MONEY

In my field work I was teaching second grade students how to count money. 
I laminated a quarter, dime, nickel, and penny but made them big so all the students could see which one I was holding up. Within just a couple of days with working with the students I could figure out which students needed extra help and what kind of help they needed. Some students it was just them wanting my approval of their answer. Others they did not know the name of the coin but knew how much it was worth and vice versa. 
Before I started my lesson every day we go over the name of coins and amounts. I would then call on students to tell me how much I would have if had a certain amount of change. With my students who I knew I could give a bit more of a challenge to I would make sure make the amount of change greater. For those who were struggling a little bit I would make sure to make it easier for them to solve and I knew that would get it correct.
It can sometimes be embarrassing for students if they get the answer to a question wrong. I wanted to make sure that none of the students got the answers wrong when we were using the BIG MONEY. 

Towards the end of teaching this unit all of the students were able to independently count money on their own. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like "tiered questioning" -- fun to do it and feel good about it, eh? (3 pts).

    ReplyDelete